Friday 28 October 2016

Artlink; Cleaned up Images and Colour Ways (Final fox scan file gone missing but went through same process as these four)


Finalizing Images;
  • I scanned each of the separate 'page layers' into photoshop and layered them up into one image, altering the levels so that the image was completely black and white
  • Within the printing process I had to decide whether I wanted the coloured inks to go through the line-work or the negative space of each image. I figured it would be easiest to test out which looked better through photoshop, though looking at pre-existing illustration split fountain screen prints often used the line for colour rather than the white space. 

Colour Experiments & Chosen Palette;
  • Went through the most colour experiments with 'Snow-y Staffy' print, covering a variety of temperatures and colour combinations. Staffy print seems like a good middle ground for nature vs figures so made more sense to experiment with lots of colours on one print rather than each individually. 
  • Think that the blue / pink combination works the best. Blue tones give it a cold wintery vibe while the pink gives it a hint of emotional warmth; colours compliment each other well
  • After exploring where the colour should go (line / white space) decided on the linework being the best option. 
  • Tried this colour combo out on the other prints to make sure it fit. Once I was happy with it, committed to buying screen-print medium so I could start printing soon.

Secondary Research; (other illustrators split fountain prints)

  • In some of these cases the linework seems to be a lot thicker than my own, I'm hoping this is a stylistic choice and that my prints won't be patchy or not expose well
  • Often the darker colour is on the bottom to give the piece a 'weight' and not make it appear top heavy. 
  • I was worried my pieces may have too much negative space, but after looking at some of these print examples I don't feel too bad about that now, I think the space allows the print some room to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment