Saturday 22 October 2016

Artlink Scamps & Themes



Themes;
  • Getting this brief there weren't any specific themes mentioned to take into consideration when making the pieces. Given that this would be a winter 'pop-up print shop' however in the run up to Christmas, I felt like doing some 'wintery' pieces would be appropriate, and maybe sell well given the time of year.
  • I split my thinking up into two tangents; nature and figures. I liked the idea of doing some wintery woodland animals or animals in the snow, but wanted to try out some more of my words with illustration pieces.
  • I was a little worried that the pieces may not fit together, but the overall show would be displayed as a shop rather than an exhibition, so as long as all the pieces were printed, it didn't really matter if they worked as a set.
  • This in mind however, I did want a sense of cohesion to run throughout the work, so I decided I would do this with colour.

Key Pieces; 
  • So far my plan is to create five prints these being
A fawn
A fox
A staffy dog in the snow
Two 'people pieces' (figures with text)

  • I understand all of these prints seem a little disconnected, but I'm taking this brief as a chance to practice and explore my skills at screen printing more so than conceptually. I'm hoping at the end all the pieces do look as though they are part of one body of work rather than random bits and pieces, but as mentioned this will be through colour rather than subject matter.


Size & Media;
  • I took this brief on as it would push me to practice my skills at screen printing, something I haven't really done since first year! So screen print will be my final method of image-making.
  • Size-wise I'm thinking of doing these prints at A4. I think that will allow me a big enough space for the images to breathe and contain the level of detail I want, without pushing them to be overly big. I'm aware this is for a shop set up, and not everyone has the room in their house for A3/2 size prints. I think A4 would be a good enough size for a present, and wouldn't be cumbersome for the customer to carry out of the shop and around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment