Sunday 23 October 2016

Virgin Media; Roughs & Research




Concept;

I wanted to make sure for this brief I included something to do with Headingley within the artwork, even though it wasn't a necessity. I remember being told that Headingley and Hyde Park used to be a botanical gardens and a zoo. Down Cardigan Road, there is a small traditional piece of architecture that did in fact used to be a bear pit. I like the idea of using something figurative within my piece, and I love a good bear so this seemed like a good option to take. The turn around time on this brief was relativity tight, so I thought it best to choose an idea fairly quickly and run with that.

Bear pit off Cardigan Road, Headingley
Research;

In preparation for this brief, I decided to take a look at some pre-existing street art and culture. I've looked a quite a few graphic artists during my time at college, but haven't really revisited them since starting uni. What I really like about a lot of graphic / street art is their use of line work alongside bold colours. The brief stated that lighter, bright colours would be best in the practical upkeep of the box so the insides didn't get fried; the two go hand in hand for this brief. 

General graphic street art

Pinky Vision;

An artist in Hull I've been aware of for some time also seemed like a good point of reference for this brief. Pinky works in a very graphic way, and his illustrations have be applied to a variation of formats and contexts. As well as this, Pinky also often paints murals in the form of street art. It's good to see how an illustration can be translated from paper to something real-world. I need to take into consideration the practical 3D elements of this project when designing it.

Artwork by Pinky Vision

No comments:

Post a Comment