Sunday 19 February 2017

La Betes; development work, alterations and final image


During the process of drawing this final image I made a couple of compositional changes from the initial sketch. I felt as though the image was too text heavy on the left side of the original proposal, and I wanted to balance that out, as well as introduce some more black to the piece so it didn't feel as though there was too much negative space.

I did this through the introduction of a large speaker/amp on the left of the image to break up the wall segment. I then moved the band title to the centre/right and the tour dates and details to the bottom left. I'm a lot happier with this composition compared to the initial one.

Once the image was complete I scanned it in and cleaned it up, editing the black pen lines to be much darker. Once this was done, I began playing with the added texture and where it should go (white space vs black lines) and added in a boarder for the image. I also did one version with a light blue hue over it to see what it looked like with some colour.

At this point Dan messaged me asking to alter a few of the date details at the bottom of the page, as they'd booked a few more dates and wouldn't have the poster ready for some of older ones. This was easily fixable using a light box and another sheet of paper to write out the new dates so they'd fit into the images composition. With this done I tried two more purple/blue gradient combinations with the line work to see how they looked. I feel as though these came out a little too dark however, but I sent them to Dan and the boys non-the-less.

With all the variations taken into consideration, the boys said they preferred the black and white version with the texture on the black linework but a plain solid black boarder. The only other alteration I was asked to make to the finished piece was to make Johns shoulder and back a little smaller (sorry John, haha!!). Once this was done I sent the image off ready for online circulation! 


No comments:

Post a Comment