Friday 24 February 2017

Finally some inspo

Loish's art book

This week inspiration came from my postbox.

I recently put an order in for Loish's artbook that came out a while back. Loish is a digital artist and illustrator that works in predominately concept art and character design, as well as completing her personal artwork to sell as prints and merch. I've been a big fan of Loish's work for a long time, and finally being able to see the process behind her work is really inspiring!!

For the first time in a while I turned on my PC and started drawing straight into photoshop using my 500 year old tablet. And it was actually surprisingly refreshing!!! I looked through my own photos until I found one I wanted to use as a reference. I didn't treat this as something super final so allowed myself to play and have fun with it. I actually found that I quite liked the initial sketches and so started working into the piece with a little more detail.

While I started with a woman's head, the more I drew into it the more I started to implement character traits that lent themselves to my pixel/glitch idea. I decided a humanoid/robot woman would be a fun idea to play with; the idea of artificial intelligence going wrong.

I kept focused on the line weight and quality at this point. When I felt as though I had a strong line image set out I began thinking about colour palettes. 

I eventually arrived at the one pictured below. I used a website that holds as tone of pre-existing palettes so just had a scroll through until I found one that I felt fit. I really like the almost 80s vibes I get from this palette, and it feels slightly space/ 8-bit like.


No comments:

Post a Comment