Saturday 25 February 2017

CMV; Colour and Text

Left; no text, Right; with text

Using the palette I chose yesterday I started to colour in my image. I wanted a mixture of block colours with gradients to give the piece an illusion of lighting. I didn't want the piece to look too flat overall, and I know solid block colours in digital art can often give that appearance. 

That's where I used a trick I learnt some months ago about easily adding a little texture to your on screen images. Simply using the file>add noise function, speckles the colour out as much as you desire, to give the illusion of a texture surface. I use noise in most of the image aparent from a few of the 'coloured glitch' pixels, as I wanted a bit of variation within them.

Once I'd finished the colouring process, I thought about adding in some additional type. I quite often mix text and image within my personal work as I feel it gives the piece a little more emotional context. It was imperative that the text fit with the imagery, so I spent a while going through dafonts.com to find one that I felt fit best. 

Whilst a couple of the pixel fonts were cute, they didn't feel as though they suited the image as their  were a little too much of an 8-bit style. I finally came upon this font 'Paskowy', which had a slightly more angular and serious tone, with the barcode above the lettering giving it a very digital and computerized feeling. I decided to lay the text out like a barcode on the image, typing the words seen above.

Despite the robotic element, I still wanted the work to emulate and tap into human emotions. The idea of A.I.'s ability to love kept popping into my head, as quite often I explore sentimental human emotions in my personal work. It's hard to explain how I come up with the text as it just feels like something instinctual to me. People generally tend to understand the emotion I'm trying to convey as it comes from an honest place. I hope that translates in this final image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment