Sunday 24 January 2016

Secret 7; Initial Thoughts & Sketches

Initial Thoughts on Tracks

This month the tracks for Secret 7 have been released, and while some of my peers have had reservations about certain tracks I'm very happy with this year's batch! Some songs I'm unfamiliar with and others I know quite well. One of the main reservations//things I'm nervous about at this point is re-imagining some of the more well known tracks in ways that aren't obvious or overdone. Especially with the track Imagine by John Lennon I'm aware a preexisting visual world already exists in the form of Beatles album artwork ect and I don't want to feel like I'm just repeating that, and At Last a certain era or mental image of a couple in love comes to mind; I have to push past these initial obvious concepts.

Work as a Set

Given the diversity in musical genres // tones with these tracks making them work as a set is something I may struggle with in terms of tone of voice. I want each piece to reflect the ethos of each track so one way of making these pieces work together collectively could be through colour palette. Through choosing a few select colours to make all sleeves from it may help them work together as a series despite changes in media // tone of voice.

In order to choose tracks that I felt I would be able to use for each track I conducted research into each of the pre-existing album covers for each track. Making a kind of chart documenting the colours in each album cover I then picked out the most often reoccurring colours to use as my staple palette. I would allow for slight alterations in terms of hue // brightness // opacity ect but keeping to this basic palette may help in the continuity of the pieces as a collective.

Media

Looking into album covers I feel a lot of the more successful ones feel as though they have a personal // hand rendered quality to them. I'd like to include analog elements in each of my submissions and then enhance // layer // edit ect these in photoshop to create a hybrid of digital and analog methods in each piece.

CHVRCHES

Intention 

To create a cover that capitalised on the energy and electric feel of the track
Something that looks dynamic
Dance element
'Indie' girl on the front? 

Initial Sketches

I started with the idea of hands // crowd shots at a electric // dance concert with a sharp contrast in the bright colours of show lighting and the dark silhouette of hands in the air however this felt a little static and unrelated to the song

I moved onto more figure driven work in having colours exploding out of a character // in a characters specific features, however this also felt a little static in what the image was conveying

I wanted the character to look dynamic and personify the dance beat of the song, it was at this point I started to look at expressive dancers. The way their body moved was exaggerated and shape driven. At this point I finally started to get an idea for a good cover. The woman would be in a dynamic pose with the earlier notion of bright lighting // coloured strobes bursting out behind her.

Once I had decided on a chosen pose for the female figure I drew it out in mechanical pencil ready to be scanned in. I really wanted the colours for this track to POP out so decided to colour it digitally in the CMYK format, so I knew the colours I would be getting would be at their max potential 

No comments:

Post a Comment