Saturday 23 January 2016

Illustration Fridays; Batch 2

Visual Language & Artist Inspiration

As I continued with my illustration Fridays' I made sure to keep considering line quality and block colour. During the course of these few weeks I found myself often looking at the work of Laura Callaghan and Kaethe Butcher. While the visual elements of Callaghan's work appealed to me it was Butcher's attitude and merging of image and personal text that spoke to me on a conceptual level. I kept my responses for each week quick and instinctual, writing what came to mind as the piece evolved in my fingertips.

Problems of Brief

As stated earlier, I wanted these pieces to be quick and raw, and while this worked best for the time frame and keeping the briefs rolling, I do feel looking back on them as a collective that certain images could have been stronger or feel as though they have a little bit of a 'rushed' element to them rather than a raw element; something that could have been avoided if more time had been spent working out various compositions // colour palettes // experimentation's in general. 

Making the Brief Work for Me

Though some of these pieces felt a little rushed, what this brief did very well was keep my visual langauge exploration going. I found the website itself didn't offer too much in terms of the benefits of submitting; all you submitted upon entry was name, medium and style. This meant if someone had liked my work or wanted to get in touch it would have been quite difficult, and I found the requirement to fill out a 'style' box seemed a little hobbyist.

Given that I didn't have to hide this work away however, due to any competition guidelines, I was able to post it on my own social media account Instagram. This then allowed for a semi - regular illustration based post to be put up helping me with my own online presence. It allowed my account to stay active with work that wasn't taking too long but still showed results, allowing for more people to get in touch and interact with me as opposed to just look at my work on the Illustration Friday website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment