Tuesday 26 January 2016

Caitlin Moran; Finals & Mock Up Book

Process

With the format // proportions ready to trace I drew out my final visuals on good quality stock paper to allow for best results when scanning them in. Once the pieces were finished I scanned them in and began placing them onto the Penguin provided template

Composition & Text

With the front cover the placing of the image was fairly simple, with the back cover however I tried out a few variations before settling on my final one. It was integral that the imagery helped to illustrate the text without over shadowing it. Font wise I chose a simple sans serif so as to not distract or conflict too much with the illustration work.

Final & Mock Up

Once the piece was finished I tried mocking it up on a book cover to see how it would look. I really enjoyed the process of using pencil alongside biro pen and the creation of the final image was something I felt I could really loose myself in and craft well. The challenge of working for a book cover was also something new, and though it was hard at first to pin down how my work would meet my intentions, it was something I managed to figure out through exploration in my sketchbook.

On the less positive side, once seeing the book mocked up I worry there was too much white//negative space and that I should have done the image on a coloured background? Perhaps even doing the spine another colour (or black) would have helped to break the design up and look more finalised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment