Wednesday 3 May 2017

Tutorial w/ Matt

TUTORIAL

Overall Practice;

- Feels like I have a lot of momentum with my work at the minute (doing tons of work and events)
- Going back to Hull after uni (good network there)
- Very confident and assured about my own work which is to my credit (has very little worry or fear about me not carrying on or doing well in illustration/ creative paths)
- Spoke about owner of Duke Studios who has become a sorts of 'spokesperson' for Leeds creative community; could see me doing something similar in the Hull scene
- Loves punk / DIY element of work; ethos carries itself through my work

FMP

- Final images too neat / considered?
- Work best when I'm working instinctively and intuitively
- Finals feel far away from where my best work is (La Bete Blooms gig poster)
- Linework too thin?
- Is hardback book appropriate? Seems far away from DIY/punk aesthetic; maybe gig posters / narrative posters more appropriate?
- Rawness of my work is when it's at it's best. And my work is most relatable and authentic when I'm putting myself into it; MORE OF THIS
- End of year show should be about showcasing WHO I am as a practitioner. No point showing work that isn't truly me

Moving Forward

- More writing with image making
- Find what makes my La Bete piece successful and push that. Like finding the difference between live music and a produced recording. Keep the raw energy. Find a way to 'play live' not 'produce in the studio'
- Consider application of final pieces; does a book work for this project? Or would posters be more appropriate? What does time allow for?
- Keep pushing the ideas and feelings. Make sure the focus of the work is on the EMOTION.
- Homage to punk scene of past, recognition of present, championing of DIY, LOFI, LOW COST REPRODUCTION, RAWNESS, EMOTION, FUCK YOU TO THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T GET IT.
- GIVE 'EM HULL.

AFTER THOUGHTS

This tutorial left me feeling a little conflicted but inspired. Before this meeting I had in mind exactly what my end product was going to be and how I was going to achieve it, however now I'm not so sure. I think this is good. I agree with Matt that a hardback book may not be the most appropriate end product for what I'm trying to communicate. Perhaps somewhere through all the planning I lost sight of the core emotions I've been trying to convey. Rather than a detailed illustrative interview with Stew maybe I need to pick out the key moments. The statements that stand out, that resonate and make me feel something. This year I've spent so long trying to hone down my craft and commercial ability I've not had the time to do anything for myself. Rather than forcing this project into something easily categorized as illustration, maybe I should take this as a chance to throw myself into something I believe in. Leaving this course, I know I don't see myself as 100% illustrator, and I think that's in part due to my dependency on art as a human being. As I'm rounding off the end of this degree what I'm coming to realise more and more is that I didn't come onto this course because I wanted to learn how to make a shit ton of money drawing pictures I don't believe in. I came here because I wanted to learn how to do something that I loved the best of my ability. Not for money, or fame or other people but for myself, because quite simply art is something I have to do. At this point, I'm not entirely sure what my end product is for FMP, but I feel as though Matt was right when he spoke about large scale posters. I already have all the content and exploration of images; now is the time to madly create.


No comments:

Post a Comment