Monday 1 May 2017

Final Text for Book


Today I wrote out the specific text that would be included on each page of the book, as well as making sure I had a workable number of pages (multiple of 4) for printing at uni.

While writing out the final text using my initial interview notes and memories from the phone-call, I did have to pop back in touch with Stew to get a few of the more finalised details in order;

Me: 

Hey stew, hope you're having a great bank holiday weekend smashing all these shows 👊 I'm getting on with some of my final major proj and just wanted to check these two things from our phone convo we had a while ago. If you could just make sure I haven't got any of these things jotted down wrong that'd be aces 😎 

• started freaks union 1993
• recorded first ep at Warren in 1995 on cassette 

My final hand in is two weeks on Monday and shortly after I'll be back for a week or so will have to have a catch up and I'll be able to  show you what all this work has resulted in haha! Thanks for all your help with it man, means the world x

Stew:

Hey yeah ace weekend so far. Me and my bro started our first and in 1993 but Freaks union started in 95 and yeah recorded our first tape demo at the warren that year xx

Me: 

Another quick question, when you were saying about how before in the music scene you used to feel like you were taking on the world you mentioned about organising a march where there were about 600 people and you stopped traffic; what was that for? And I think you mentioned about another one that was a march around town that ended in a gig at welly? x

Stew:

I found this thread of a guys favourite gig which included the FU Stop The War gig.. we met in paragon square and marched to Clive sullivan way near where you cross to get to Humber street and we stopped the traffic and laid down on the road chanting and with placards etc, we pissed off a lot of innocent drivers but the idea was to make a point and raise awareness. It was happening all over the world around the Iraq war so that at it happened in other cities, but we didn't massively use the internet like we do now. So we then marched to welly and had a massive show with loads of energy and it was all ages. Massive sense of unity, this guy puts it well..


Me:

That's amazing Stew, all the info I need as well. I'm super pumped for you to see this project when it's finally done, hope I've put all this info to good use haha!!

Stew:

And we did another massive show at welly for the tsunami disaster and raised money to send overseas. We worked hard and played for years doing small shows full of passion and as we got bigger in hull and could sell out the welly we used that to do something real and positive and give back to the world. The punk scene was really energetic when we got stuck into it and was very active.

Ace can't wait to see it all together! And thanks so much for asking me about this stuff, I kinda forget about it and then all memories come back when you ask me.. so I really appreciate it xx

With the extra information I was able to write out each page in full English and not broken down notes haha. Speaking with Stew has also given me a little push to make sure this project is something I'm really proud of. At this point I really want to be able to say I've done his words justice, and illustrated his fond memories with thought. I think it's important when completing reportage work that the tone of the work fits with the story you're trying to tell. I want to make sure the end illustrations are gutsy, but considered, and showcase Stew's passion for the Hull music scene.

Furthering the conversation I spoke about how I was looking forward to having more time in Hull soon; with the ending of uni in sight. He said how he hoped we'd be able to work on some aces projects together if we had the time. I responded saying we'd make the time, and he wrote back; 

We need to make the time. Life's too short to miss cool shit and not hang with cool fuckers x

I thought it might be nice to start the book off with this quote. I think it encompasses a lot of Stew's attitude, and how he feels about the community he's in. I'm really looking forward to showing him the final product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment