Sunday 25 September 2016

Inside Text, Final Digipack and Completion of Brief


As Dan and the band hadn't given much thought to the inside cover of the EP, I took initiative and suggested hand-rendered text similar to that on the front/back of Mac Demarco's LPs. The band agreed with the concept and allowed me to do my thing.

I got the details from Dan and Lewis and wrote them out a few times with a berol marker, after which I scanned into photoshop and manipulated to white text on black background. After getting the ay-oh-kay with this I placed it into the digipack that Lewis had sent me.

Before sending the final files over, I sent Dan a lo-res JPEG of the file to make sure nothing needed correcting. He loved the final thing and gave me the go-ahead to send it over to Lewis. I've been lucky with this brief in the fact that Dan trusted me enough to pay the full amount for the EP artwork upfront too, which saved a lot of chasing around afterwards. Both him and Lewis seemed very impressed with my professionalism and efficient work ethic. All in all I think I turned this brief around in little over / under a week, which was a bit of a god-send for them given the unexpected drop out from their previous artist.

I've actually quite enjoyed this project, despite working in a way that's different to how I think I'd usually tackle a brief. As said before too, I've learnt a lot about compromising and adapting to clients wants and needs rather than my own. I found it fairly easy to do that in this context; perhaps because it feels more commercial than professional? I would definitely work with Dan and La Betes / Adult Teeth again!

No comments:

Post a Comment