Tuesday 20 September 2016

SP3 PREP; Publication

KHADI PAPER Hardback Books // Rave Zine (OUIL501)

PUBLICATION BRIEF

The idea for this project stemmed from my final outcome in COP2. The module was one I really enjoyed, both in terms of research and practical, and though I loved making my final zine for submission, there was an idea for an alternative final piece that has continued to run around in my mind. I did at one point consider making a hardback book to house my illustrations in for my practical piece. I thought about possible materials and processes I could utilize to make the book something highly crafted and unique. It's an idea I didn't get to explore much due to a change in direction, but it's something I'd like to investigate further.

Melissa Castrillon; Two Wolves

Laura Middleton; Plants Don't Hug You Back

IDEAS

As mentioned before, this idea stemmed from my COP2 research into British Rave Culture from the late 1980s to early 1990s. The initial ideas for this book were embossed front and back cover on neon material, with perhaps a glow in the dark // UV // neon tape binding (sleeve). I thought about screen printing all of the images to make the piece even more refined, but the timescale I had wouldn't allow for this. It'd be nice to realyl sit down and spend time creating something polished and beautiful. Would I want it to be about the same subject matter (rave?) or something different? Consider these things!

Neon Materials

WHY THIS BRIEF?

As mentioned book binding is something I haven't been able to explore to the highest level of craft I would have wanted. This project would allow me to really get to grips with it and make something fantastic. The project would also allow for an element of research, something I rather enjoy. Could this project be expanded? What context would it sit in? As something for sale commercially? Something to sit in a gallery format? Would it be a part of a larger scale project into a specific chosen subject matter? These are possibilities I would have to tie down first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment