Tuesday 20 September 2016

SP3 PREP; Line Project



LINE PROJECT

Towards the end of last year, I began considering tattooing as a possible avenue of income post-uni. I've had very minimal experience tattooing myself and others to date, but it's not something I would willingly rule out at this point of my career. The work that really interests me is largely line based and monochromatic. Again what excites me about this possible avenue is the new space for illustration to live in. It doesn't always have to be on a page. Tattooing people for this module is of course unrealistic, however a project based on monochromic linework could be something worth pursuing.

IDEAS

At this point what I'd have as a final piece feels pretty vague. I'm unsure as to the subject matter or what the final piece would be, rather just the process in which it would be made; using considered linework and monochrome. Perhaps I could create a series of images and mock them up // transfer them onto different items // pieces of merchandise. Something to be uploaded to an online store perhaps? What other contexts could I put this work in? I've mentioned previously about being interested in large scale work, how about using this imagery to create a mural; something to sit on the side of buildings or along the corridors of indie bars and clubs. The main drive behind this project is the visual stylistics and imagery; is this a good thing? It would allow me the freedom to take the project wherever I wanted, though I must keep in mind to have a beneficial end goal. What can I learn from this project?

WHY THIS BRIEF

A lot of the illustrator-come-tattooists I follow on instagram also run online stores as well as working for tattoo studios. This side of self promotion and merchandising is something I want to expand for my own practice this year, and this project may help in looking at how other practitioners are currently doing that. It'd also help me in improving my own visual language and the linework within that, and the lack of definitive final outcomes at this stage would allow me to experiment. Do I want to make work that is big or small? On what surface area? All things to consider if I take this project further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment