Tuesday 20 September 2016

SP3 PREP; Poster Project (Gigs?)

The Sesh Poster for LIFE, The Orielles, 
The Waives & John Copley (Done over Summer)

POSTER PROJECT

Thinking about how I'd like to further look into the music industry and the illustration within it, I've considered doing a poster project this year maybe centered around the theme of gig posters. Posters are something that seem relatively simple, however I've found through a few attempting the past they can be rather tricky things. There's a lot to consider in terms of composition, subject matter and colour schemes, and I think trying to tackle a poster project would help me to improve in these areas. I looked at alot of illustration throughout second year that was drastically different to the work I was looking at pre-uni and some of first year; and it was amazing. A lot of the work done for OZ Magazine really opened my eyes to how much you can push illustration and composition to make it work, and the graphics in poster design and leaflets throughout the 90s rave movement allowed me to fall in love with a kind of 'brutal graphics' (I'm not sure what the official term would be) that threw image and computer fonts together in a way that should have been hideous, but looked incredibly desirable. 

Bob Prodor - Gig Posters

Ben Barry - Screen Printed Gig Posters

IDEAS (?)

With this in mind, I've thought about doing a series of posters perhaps for a series of gigs // bands or perhaps even club nights. A friend of mine does the artwork for Hull Box Office, subsequently making all the posters and leaflets for the The Welly Club, FRUIT and The Polar Bear. A collection of his work can be found at  http://wellyflyers.tumblr.com/. I love the continuity in style, and the variation of compositions. Colour is also a huge thing I'd love to improve on this year, combining good linework with strong colour choices and compositions would surely make for some super great artwork. I've considered screen print for this project too, it's something I've dabbled with the past two years but still don't feel an expert on. To really take the time to crack screen print and produce some lovely pieces of artwork would feel top notch.

Carlos Hernandez - Gig Poster

Catharsis Print Studio (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) - Screen Printed Gig Posters

WHY THIS BRIEF?

To improve on skills and techniques I currently don't feel as confident in, eg colour, composition, screen print ect, while also looking into how illustration can be used in a music industry setting. Perhaps considering the different contexts that this project could sit in? A series of gig posters for a lofi band would be very different to those for a series of club posters for a house music night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment