Tuesday 20 September 2016

SP3 PREP; Feren's Open Exhibition

Ferens Open Exhibition (Official Video)

FERENS OPEN EXHIBITION 

I found out about this exhibition through a small article in the printed edition of the Hull Daily Mail. The Ferens art gallery Open Exhibition is something I've been aware of for a couple of years now, I wanted to enter in first year but lacked the time, and last year there wasn't a call for submissions due to the Gallery being refurbished ready for Hull City of Culture 2017. This year seems a perfect time to enter, given the 'City of Culture 2017' status, the pieces chosen will be exposed to a huge audience; as well as the opportunity to network, and sell artwork both at the exhibition launch and throughout.

You can submit up to three pieces in any format. The pieces will be submitted via an online website going live later this year, and the chosen work will then be transferred to Ferens Art Gallery ahead of the launch in early 2017. Exposure and other perks aside, it would also be a great privilege to have my work hung in my home city's gallery. I've always been close to my hometown, and maintaining that connection has been invaluable for the past two years, in regards to my artistic career. This would be a lovely project to succeed at.

News Article on Open Exhibition

IDEAS

In terms of subject matter and ideas of what to submit, right now I've love to do a series of large(ish) scale paintings that focus on my personal experiences growing up in Hull. Throughout the Summer I've had two opportunities for live painting, and I found the most recent (HSS'16) to be largely successful in terms of public feedback. I felt truly touched that so many people connected with the work and what I was trying to say. I've also really enjoyed the process of getting out of the sketchbook and off the paper onto something larger and crafted. It's fun to push my skills into new contexts such as this; how to craft work at a larger scale while maintaining the intimacy and emotion found in my smaller sketchier work. I'd love to finish this painting and submit it as one of the three pieces, creating two more in a similar theme for the Open Exhibition. 

(Unfinished) Painting for HSS'16

WHY THIS BRIEF?

As previously mentioned, I've enjoyed the process of making bigger work this Summer, to that which I made throughout the second year of this course. I worry that sometimes illustration feels confined to the pages of a book or paper hung as A3 posters on walls. The idea that illustration can exist outside of these contexts excites me. Why shouldn't illustration work sit in a gallery? I believe it can be just as powerful as Fine Art, perhaps it could be a more accessible alternative. I love getting an emotional response to the work I create and a gallery seems a good place to find the people who want to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment