Tuesday 6 September 2016

SP3 PREP; Secret 7"

http://secret-7.com/

SECRET SEVEN

As part of OUIL603 PREP I've selected 6 briefs// projects I'm interested in undertaking. The first brief I thought of for this module was Secret 7. I entered this competition last year, with a piece for each song, but none of them were selected for the final show. At the time it was a little disheartening, however looking back at the work now with almost 6 months away from it; I'm not entirely surprised. Looking at a lot of the winners of the competition reaffirmed my initial instinct with how I SHOULD have tackled the brief. Around the time of OUIL503, I had a lot of briefs going on with a lot of specific requirements; Secret 7 was a break from this, something I thought I would relish. BUT I found myself caught up in what I thought the judges would be looking for, rather than going with my gut. Somewhere along the line I forgot what attracted me to the brief in the first place, and while there were a couple of designs I liked, a few of them felt rushed and too pushed in a certain direction.

Secret-7 Outcome (OUIL503)

MEDIA

I also personally feel I relied too heavily on digital methods for this brief. Throughout the Summer months I feel I've become more in tune as to when and where to use my digital skills and when to revert to analog methods to provide the most suitable and beneficial results. It is good to utilize both, but in moderation and with consideration.

OUIL 505 Final Outcomes

My final outcomes for OUIL505 showcase how analog and digital methods can be used effectively to communicate a message whilst maintaining a sense of authenticity and individuality. I'd love to take what I learnt from this brief and apply it to Secret 7 this year. There is also a possibility of expanding this brief to a marketing campaign similar to that of OUIL505, though I really don't want to be repeating myself in the work I create.

WHY THIS BRIEF?

Not only is this a brief I enjoy, but one I feel I could excel at this year year; I learnt a lot from OUIL505, and being able to put that into practice in a live brief would be great. I'd also love to look into more illustration within the music scene this year, it's a niche that really interests me as a practitioner and one I've began working in (only locally) this Summer. Music is something that has always been a constant in my life alongside my art, and being able to combine the two is a dream come true. Secret 7 would be another great brief, alongside the few I've worked on over Summer, to add to a portfolio aimed at the music industry.

Note to self; Continue to explore illustration in the music scene.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment