Sunday 22 February 2015

I See Faces; Week 1 (60+ Characters)

 
Front cover and initial listing for ideas

I began with listing a few ideas for the three themes we were given initially, I wanted to use a range of both physical and abstract ideas as I didn't know which would make for the better characters. I found early into the project that the physical themes were much easier to turn into characters than the abstract ideas; although this didn't always lead to the best results.

Adventure Time; The Art of Ooo

Part way through this process I found myself getting frustrated with the images I was creating. I felt that with some of them, the abstract ones more so, I was getting into a habit of illustrating an idea rather than creating a character. 

At this point I reached for some contextual research to get my mind going again, and it came in the form of Adventure Time's Art of Ooo book. My parents got me the book for Christmas but I hadn't really studied it in depth yet. However reaching for it proved to be very useful. I feel as though it took me away from the idea of a character being something that was already alive or real. It made me think about changing the characters into inanimate objects or made up creatures.

Excerpts from sketchbook pages

I found switching up media also helped me in changing how I was thinking about each character. However I still feel as though some of them are more of an illustration of an idea rather than a character themselves. I felt as though it was easier to create characters from the ideas I felt most strongly about, as it was easier to impart my feelings into the illustrations and make them come to life in the form of a character.

 Excerpts from sketchbook pages



No comments:

Post a Comment