Sunday 22 February 2015

I See Faces; Evaluation of GIFS

Three final GIFS

I chose these three GIFs as my final ones to submit as I felt they were not only the most successful but also showcased a breadth of image making techniques I'd employed as part of my GIF making. 

The first GIF I made (bottom left) proved to be really well received in the gifs galore showcase we had today, a few people voted for it in the 'most emotional' category which meant that it achieved exactly what I wanted it to. I feel as though it's subtlety and simplicity also worked to it's advantage; something I learnt throughout this project was that the subtle actions and expressions could be just as succinct in exploring and expressing character as multi-frame GIFs that were very complex in movement and construction. 

In a similar way, I liked the small movements of the fox GIF (bottom right), however if I were to undertake the task again I would have liked to include more subtle movements such as the twitching of a tail or the ear. It would also have been beneficial to further push gesture in this image to really emphasise his character; perhaps a hunched over back if he were to appear sneaky, or crossed arms and a straight posture if he were to appear stern. As he currently stands, also a slight sense of his character is implied, he is for the most part passive and not as believable as he could have been if I'd had the time to develop him further.

My final GIF (top) was something really new to me in photographing my illustrations so as they appear 3D. I included this as my final GIF as I learnt a lot through the process of creating it. Firstly, picking the right environment for the character to occupy is important. I chose my windowsill as it's light and mostly white//pale in colour. I also wanted the plant in the background to imply at depth and add a splash of colour. It was also a rainy day when I shot these photos which fit well with his despondent mood

The movement of the arm was something I would have liked to improve on if I were to undergo this task again. It was hard to move as I had to keep sticking his arm down in the right position with white tack, it was also hard to keep the camera in the same position while doing this, though I do quite like the slight movement in camera positioning as it feels very authentic and hand-crafted. 

It would have been nice to attempt this GIF again but with a camera tripod to keep it in the same position, and fishing wire around the fawn's arm for easier and more fluid movement.



No comments:

Post a Comment