Sunday 16 November 2014

End of Module Self Evaluation

1. Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice? 

The structure of working from start to finish of a brief is something that I feel I've really been able to get into the swing of, and make the most of, throughout this module. The act of using scamps, then getting peer feedback to develop them further is something that I hadn't previously done but have found to be very useful when furthering my illustrations. Practically, I've found that working with restrictions in briefs has also made me more aware of media choice, texture ect. This experimentation with media is another skill that I've found myself employing more and more in each brief as it allows for quick image making whilst also instantly allowing me to get a feel for the final illustration and whether or not it will work.

2. Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?

The idea of scamps and repeating an image multiple times with a few variations is something quite new to me, and something I've found to be very beneficial when developing my ideas. The concept of 'thinking through drawing' is something that I'd dismissed in the past, thinking that there is no difference between thinking about ideas, and knowing which will work, and drawing them out. But throughout this module I've found that drawing out your initial ideas, no matter how obvious they seem, can help in developing new possible outcomes.

Media variations in scamps is something else that I've found to be useful when developing ideas and seeing which ones work/don't work. Colour can very quickly be an indication of how the illustration will work as a whole after completion, allowing you to quickly draw out and evaluate multiple scamps to choose the most effective one.

3. What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?

Craft is something that I not only value highly in my own work but something I relish doing. I've found that my most successful illustrations have been ones that I really invested time and effort into. The intricate image making forces me to constantly evaluate what I'm doing and why. It also allows me to get lost in the illustration making it a very peaceful and enjoyable thing to do.

4. What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?

Time management is something that I feel I could work on more for the next module. Making sure that I blog regularly so that my posts are more immediate and detailed in content, and so they don't build up and become a 'chore'. Also making sure that I allocate equal amounts of time to each illustration if I'm required to do a set so that they're all crafted to the same level. This is something I feel I improved on greatly in my last project, and it showed too with both the final outcomes and feedback in relation to them. More extensive use of scamps would also help in creating even more refined and original works.

5. In what way has this module introduced you to the BA (Hons) Illustration programme? 

I feel as though I've really settled into the course now that I understand the structure and timetable. It's a lot easier to keep on track of what/how many projects I'm undertaking at once and time management is improving, I think, with each brief. Whilst I found the first brief to be a little overwhelming, I've enjoyed every brief since and feel as though an improvement has been made with each one. The input of Visual Language has also been really helpful in developing work for this module and the fact that they're run side by side has been really great. Overall, though the course can be very demanding, I'm enjoying it a lot, I just need to get a little more organised.




No comments:

Post a Comment