Monday 3 April 2017

TEDxHull; Live Day & After Thoughts



The Event;

  • The day overall was abso fantastic! Great atmosphere all round, people were engaged and interested and just generally super atmosphere. I was placed in a 'hangout' sort of area just before people went into the theatre. Alongside myself live drawing there was also James Fenwick on the wall opposite me, as well as a stall from Form, a small book stall and a table from Hull Uni's science (?) society doing funky things with physics. While we were told to feel free jumping into any of the talks, I stayed outside to do my work as I didn't want people sat inside the theatre for two hours and coming out to see no difference in my piece haha!


Practicalities; 

  • The practical execution of my piece actually went really well!! This was my first time doing live art without using paints, but I feel like I was able to really get into this piece with a high level of craft and detail. I genuinely just really loved doing this event as it gave me 6 & a half straight ours of just drawing. I've felt so all over the place recently with balancing workloads and emails etc it was SO good to just be able to really have the time put aside to get into an image. And I finished the full thing in time!! Extra points for me.


Networking & Public Reaction;

  • I had a great reaction from the public with a couple of people stopping for a conversation while I worked. It was really great seeing that as the piece developed, people started to recognize places. I overheard a woman point at Ringside saying 'that's down Bev Road' while I was having my lunch break, and it was great to hear that people were able to recognise elements of the piece.
  • James also gave me some great feedback which was really humbling to hear. Given that he's worked for bands like Scouting for Girls and Foals it was rather nice knowing that he appreciated my work and craft. He was pretty blown away with how much detail I'd managed to get in within the time we were there too. He also spoke to me about how he acquired the music briefs he's done and how/ where I can market myself if I'm looking to get something similar. He was really open and friendly about it which meant a lot as he didn't have to go out of his way to give me the information that he did. It was also interesting hearing the differences between the courses at Hull and LCA; let's just say I'm v. glad I came here for uni haha.
  • I also met Joe which was lovely, and could later lead to some partnership or collaboration. I think it's good to know the creatives in Hull that are making something of themselves; if only one step at a time. Post-uni I'l be moving back home, so it's good to know I have a creative network of friends there already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment