Thursday 6 April 2017

FMP; Change of Direction (FOCUS TIME)


I've spent the last couple of days trying to simplify my project down to something that really reflects my initial ideas and intentions without over complicating them. I think Patrick was right when he said  that my project felt a little disconnected and muddled. After taking some time to think and reflect, I think I've managed to narrow down my project to something focused and far more illustration driven. 

What did I really want to do with this FMP?

- Explore and expose Hull's underground music scene
- Champion the people/ venues that have allowed the Hull music scene to get to where it is today
- Create something that feels authentic

What excited me about this FMP?

- Being able to do something about my home, I'm very Hull proud
- The conversation I had with Stew; his passion for the scene and all he's done for the scene to date while staying incredibly humble

After considering these points, it occurred to me that maybe the answer to this project had been there all along. If I truly wanted to champion the Hull music scene and it's passion, while giving back to that scene and area, maybe it made sense to illustrate one of those passionate stories.

Maybe I should just illustrate my conversation with Stewart Baxter.

Having being in the scene for over 20 years, Stew has been at both the receiving and the giving end of the music scene here. Taking part in both playing and attending gigs, to helping vulnerable young people in Hull find an outlet through music. His passion for the community here is evident in the way he speaks about the area and where he grew up. Perhaps illustrating the conversation I had with Stew would be a way of showing the passion and culture within the Hull music scene, and a proposed percentage of the profits of the book could go back into funding The Warren and similar projects. Perhaps Give 'Em Hull could be a publishing brand rather than a clothing brand, bringing out books that showcases individuals and places that have helped shaped the community and culture of this city.

I feel a lot better about this project, and I think this is a direction I'm going to commit to. It's a lot of work to do in just over a month but I'm determined to make something to do Stew's words some justice, and show the Hull music scene as something to be proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment