Tuesday 13 December 2016

BRIEF IN A DAY; La Bete Blooms 'Low Hummer' Storyboard

The Client;

  • La Bete Blooms

The Brief;

  • Meet with Dan and run through his storyboard proposals for La Bete Blooms newest single 'Low Hummer'. Dan has already taken the time to sit down and plan each scene to the second, but needs someone to visualize and storyboard it for him so he can take it to his videotographers. 

The Rationale;

  • I've kind of become the visual artist for La Bete Blooms during their 'I Know It's Nothing' EP run. As such Dan has come to me with this brief. It's not one that I really need to finish with a high level of craft or style, but one in which my skills as a visual storyteller are most needed. I must be able to translate what Dan is telling me into understandable visuals so his videotographers understand the angles, shots and frames used in each segment. This is also a chance for me to try something a little different, I wouldn't have ever thought I'd be doing a storyboard this year, so it's another avenue of live illustration work I can explore. 
Storyboard (rough)

How it went down

  • Given that I'm only home for a couple of weeks at Christmas and I have my COP to focus on, me and Dan met up knowing we had to get the storyboard finished within a few hours.
  • Luckily for me Dan had already done all the thinking behind the brief and just needed help to visually articulate it. We bounced ideas off each other for a few of the frames/transitions but most of the timing etc he'd already worked out; which made the task of story boarding far far easier. It was more like quickly sketching out something that he was describing to me rather than thinking in depth about the overall idea and concept of the video myself.
  • Having had the experience story boarding last year for 404 I knew what needed to be included note wise alongside the image for each scene. It also helped that the second years were doing their story boards at the same time so there was a pile of story boarding sheets in the workroom for me to nab a couple of before going home.
  • Working solidly for a couple of hours listening to the song, discussing timings, and what needed to be transcribed down, we got the full thing done just in time for Dan to rush off to band practice haha.
  • I kept the storyboards myself and said I'd try my best to edit them together tonight with the music so he could get a better feel for the video as whole. I don't have a scanner at home though so I had to take photos of each frame and edit them so they were vaguely usable!!
  • I slapped them into adobe premiere (which I've sort of taught myself to use after getting the basics from my responsive partner Izzie last year) and made sure the images matched with the timings I'd written down with each image. I also included the notes from each frame in the video so Dan could use it to show his videotographers.
  • I actually managed to get the video finished IN ONE NIGHT. It was one of those really satisfying and pleasing moments where once it was done that I thought "wow I'm actually pretty alright at this illustration stuff". I sent it off to Dan and he sent me back his eternal gratitude. He popped by the next day to pick up the original storyboard sheets too so he could take those to his videotographer which means I still don't have the original storyboard files to scan in haha! My phone did the trick for what Dan needed however, and I really feel like this was a day well done!!!
Final Storyboard Animation

EDIT
  • Final video released Feb '17, watch below to see!!
  • Sent Dan over a .png file with 'Low Hummer' written similarly to their typeface logo that I designed earlier in the year to go at the start of the vid

No comments:

Post a Comment