Monday 9 November 2015

Brief Analysis

Top 3 briefs I'm interested in

Secret-7

Though this brief isn't currently live it's definitely one that interests me a lot. The idea of being able to combine my love of music and illustration is something that draws me to this brief, and the notion of being able to start exploring album artwork as a venue for illustration is something I'd like to look at. The brief also allows for a range of approaches and after looking through past winners I also feel there isn't a strong predetermined tone of voice I would have to incorporate into my own work. As multiple submissions are allowed I could submit a piece for each track; creating a set of seven album covers in total for a substantial brief. 

Penguin Books Awards

After looking through the list of books in the Penguin Awards I feel as though the Caitlin Moran and Clockwork orange books would be most suited to my way of working. I've currently not got an interest in my work being geared towards a children's book audience as I'm enjoying working with more adult//mature themes. I'm familiar with the work of Caitlin Moran and enjoy the tongue in cheek tone of voice she uses to tackle often sensitive subject matters. It would be challenging to see if I could echo that within my own work. 

D&AD New Blood; Fortune Favours the Brave

Definitely the most open of my three chosen briefs, Fortune Favours the Brave appeals to me on a moral level rather than a visual one. With cuts to the arts in education each year I think the importance of inspiring young people to stand up and be brave in a create environment is very important. The scale of this project is a little daunting given that I haven't tackled a 'campaign' project of such a scale before, especially with such an open audience // distribution method(s). Perhaps this brief would be better suited towards collaborative OUIL503 instead?

Brief Analysis; Secret 7 (Substantial Brief)

Given that the tracks for this years Secret 7 have not yet been released I can't focus on specific problems at this point, however the brief itself is the same every year so this can be tackled.

What problem(s) are identified by the brief?

The open nature of this brief works as both a positive and negative. Whilst it allows me to push my work in ways that I want to push it, it also allows for a miscommunication of ideas or concepts from initial sketches to developed outcomes. The work has to connect on some level of the collective conscious of both illustrator (myself) and audience while still being individual and not obvious.

What is the brief asking you to do about it/them?

Respond to chosen tracks in a specific format (size requirements) for a chance to be shown in an exhibition raising money for a chosen charity (this year Amnesty International UK). The work can be an format and after looking at past contributors it's clear that there isn't a specific house style that the judges are looking for; allowing for me to pursue a tone of voice I feel fits with each track without worrying about it appealing to a niche form of illustration.

What is the brief trying to achieve?

To showcase an exhibition broadcasting a wide range of illustration, graphic design, graphic art ect that in turn will be sold to raise money for Amnesty International UK. 

Who will benefit?

Obviously the main benefactor of this brief will be the charity, as the proceeds of the sold art sleeves will be going to them. As well as this the Artists//Musicians chosen will probably benefit from the exposure of their tracks and being linked with something morally admirable. From the illustrators perspective (myself) being added to a list of contributors that has boasted names such as Charlotte Mei, Yoko Ono ect would be beneficial in terms of exposure. The chance to actually go down to the opening night of the exhibition would also provide a great opportunity for networking as well as having another exhibition to add onto a creative CV.

What is the message?

Using art to help people! The fusion of art through records sleeves and music to help raise money for a good cause each year is a lovely beacon of what creatives can do to make an impact on the world we live in and do some good!

Who is the audience?

Appart from musicians and artists alike, the exhibition will be open at Somerset house for a couple of weeks for the general public. This allows for a wider audience to be exposed to illustration and makes it feel very assessable. Given the good cause of the exhibition I think it would draw in a range of folk in terms of gender, class, age, sexuality ect. I don't think any of these things are specific for this brief; it feels as though it is something everyone can enjoy which is refreshing.

How will the message be delivered?

The chosen artwork will be printed onto 7" EP vinyl sleeves and exhibited at Somerset House. After that a backlog of all the chosen work is uploaded online for people to view throughout the year. Folk can buy the album covers for £50 which is given to charity. A small statement (140 characters) is all that the artist is given to describe their work // intentions so the image is key!

Can you foresee any problems in responding to the brief?

As stated previously, finding something that people feel they can understand//relate to but isn't obvious or stereotypical will be my hardest problem to overcome in this brief I feel. The freedom could also cause problems in choosing appropriate media // making the pieces work as a set. It's also hard to know what the judges are looking for given the broad range of previously submitted work.

No comments:

Post a Comment