Sunday 15 November 2015

Gertie Harry Brief; Initial Sketches

Brief

Who: Alan Snapper
What: A5 digital JPEG full colour CMYK
When: 1//12//15
Context: Magazine cover style illustration to be placed on a single page spread of independently produced zine that acts as a 'tour booklet' for the Gertie Harry character
Media: Digital (photoshop) No computer rendered text

Intention // Mood

Before starting this brief it was important to me that I understood exactly what kind of character Gertie Harry was and how Alan wanted her to be presented. I was provided with a character reference sheet for visual aesthetics but how the character Gertie was to be read would highly influence how I went about illustrating her.

After a few messages with Alan it was clear Gertie was to embody the strong sexy female power figure similar to that of Nicki Minaj or Beyonce. The client wanted a bigger bodied female that appeared sexy without being sexualised and vapid; glamorous but edgy. 

References and considerations while drawing

As I began drawing I looked at references such as Minaj, Amber Rose and Beyonce. For extra help in drawing women that were curvier and bigger bodied, who still oozed sexy body language, I looked at some glamour model shoots, trying to find the balance between the power of their sexuality with the confidence and integrity of female celebrities. 

Given the two week time scale of this brief I tried to keep my scamps quick and bold. My main concern at this point was to get down body language and attitude to ensure it would fit with what the client wanted; knowing these were just sketches allowed me to not worry about being too precious with lifework and getting too caught up in the details, thinking slightly about composition as I went along.


Gertie Harry Scamps

No comments:

Post a Comment