Thursday 12 November 2015

Study Task 1 - Brief Selection - What is the Problem?

BRIEF SELECTION

PT1

Penguin Random House UK Design Awards 2016; Adult Non-Fiction Cover Award

When looking at the suggested briefs for this module, this was the first brief that appealed to me. Personally I've come across Caitlin Moran's work before, her strong opinions and down to Earth nature are something I've been very fond of in her writing; the way she is able to portray and tackle women's issues with authentic tone of voice and slight attitude is something I'd love to be able to do within my own work. I've not tackled book cover work before so it would be interesting to see my work in a new format, as far as potential struggles would go I think the worry would be to do something stereotypical or just illustrate her book, I'd have to push through this, however I feel after tackling our current OUIL504 Author brief I could do this with more confidence than previously.

Secret-7

This is a competition brief that I came across at the end of last year. Music, specifically album covers and vinyl sleeves, are something I've recently become very interested in; music has always been a huge influence on my practice and outside life too. The open nature of the brief also allows for artistic interpretation which would be fun to play with. I'm unsure of how many entries you can submit for the brief, if multiple submissions are allowed creating a few album covers could help in building up a body of work for this module. Album artwork is something I am interested in pursuing within my practice and this would provide a small stepping stone into that world. The exhibition at Somerset House also looks to hose a range of styles as well as possible networking opportunities were my work successful.

D&AD New Blood Awards 2016; The D&AD Brief 

D&AD briefs are often a lot bigger and commercial in my eyes which can make them seem a little intimidating. After looking through a few of the briefs (only briefly however as it seems you need to make an account to see the full brief) I did come across D&AD's own brief based around the theme of 'bravery'. The subject matter for this brief is what attracted me; it felt more authentic and morally conscious whilst relating to the design industry. I have a lot of passion for bravery within the design industry which I think I could pull on for this project, however the vagueness and size of the brief is still a little daunting.

PT2

Penguin Random House UK Design Awards

(I think the brief I would most like to do would be the Secret-7, however given that it's not currently live I've decided to unpick my second choice to perhaps undertake until the Secret-7 brief goes live?)

What problem(s) are identified by the brief?

Competing against other books covers of a similar nature
Be able to work both traditionally (book format) and digitally (ebooks//apps ect)
Be striking and eye catching

What is the brief asking you to do about it/them?

Be imaginitive
Create something that is timeless and classic
Easily 'pick-up-able' 
Striking
Good communication of what the book stands for (classic but also entertaining and sunny)

What is the brief trying to achieve?

Create a new book cover for Caitlin Moran that stands out against other book covers of a similar nature
Most likely appeal to women?

Who will benefit?

The Penguin Publishing Company
Caitlin Moran
Women who are persuaded to buy the book?

What is the message?

Something 'timeless' but also entertaining
Grounded in reality and 'down to Earth-ness' but also funny
Relatable 

Who is the audience?

Primarily women
'Contemporary readership'

How will the message be delivered?

Through 'imaginative concept and original interpretation of the brief executed with strong use of typography'

Can you foresee any problems in responding to the brief?

Avoiding stereotypes or making a book cover that's very similar to other books in the same subject area
Making sure the 'message' and 'attitude' of Moran's book is well communicated
They could be looking for a more photography based answer to this brief, though that could prove to work in my favour as something illustrated may feel 'fresh' and 'more striking'

No comments:

Post a Comment