Friday 31 October 2014

Visual Language; Sketchbook Line Drawings


 


This week I felt myself becoming really involved in my theme and subject matter, I did a lot of research into New York in the 1980s and specifically into the crack epidemic that was sweeping the city at the time. I printed out numerous photographs that had been during this time period to get a better visual understanding of the place. Working with line and figure was something that I really enjoyed doing. I found also that through repeating an image, each time I drew it again I got more from it. I get a better understanding of not just how the image worked proportional and compositionally, but I felt as though I got a better understanding of character. Of how I could use the image to my own means and ends, adding text, making the character sadder or grumpier to reflect the overall misery and pessimism of the environment these people had been living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment