Monday 27 October 2014

'Initially' Studio Brief 1; Week 3 (Evaluation and Self Reflection)

I found that throughout working on this brief I encountered a few issues and problems that I have learnt from and will take the solutions through with me to the next brief. The initial task of producing 260 drawings within a week that each had been carefully thought through with a specific theme behind them was rather overwhelming to start with. I did find, however, that once I got the straight forward and obvious ideas out of the way and began working on themes that were less conventional or a little quirky I began to really enjoy constructing the alphabets as little rough themes. It was a lot easier to work on a theme by planning it out before hand (making an A-Z list) and then working from both that and reference material to create original scamps. And by tackling each theme one at a time it was easier to immerse myself in the idea and come up with creative alternatives and variations for each letter.

While I did plan out the composition for my final piece I feel as though it didn't turn out how I would have liked it to. The illustrations seemed in places too close and in others too far away from one another. The negative space was a little overwhelming and I don't feel as though they did the illustrations any favours, I feel as though a border would also have helped the poster come together as a whole. After looking at some of my peers work as well, I found the posters I felt most drawn to were those done in monochromes other than blacks/greys. Peers who had completed their posters in hues of blue or purple ect, seemed to have more interesting work that really stood out against the white background. For monochrome in the future perhaps I should play with different colours and shades other than the obvious.





No comments:

Post a Comment