Wednesday 16 November 2016

Virgin Media; The Box Painting Starts

So today I started painting my Virgin Media box, AND WHAT A DAY IT WAS.

I've done a couple of live painting events now, so painting large scale in outside conditions isn't something that's totally new territory to me. However, painting outside in November in Leeds IS A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE.

The day started off relatively well. I took my boyfriend with me so he could help get the base yellow colour down on the bxo (I figured it would be a lot quicker with two people). The base coating of the box didn't take too long, however the rest of it felt as though it took an age haha.

Once I started to get to more precise image making (outlining especially) the process slowed down tenfold. I marked everything out with chalk firstly so that I knew rough compositions, and I think this worked well as the chalk also easily wiped off once the paint was dry.

Ruth (who organised the project) was also lovely enough to bring us both a cup of tea throughout the day. I recon I was there from about 11AM till around 4.30PM; so it was a long day of blocking out colours haha.

The cold was the main issue with this painting. It took the paint a lot longer to dry, and after about two hours I couldn't feel my hands or feet.

I think it was 2 degrees for the majority of the day.

It got to about half four and I decided to call it a day given that I was almost turning blue and I hadn't felt many of my outer limbs for a couple of hours. I messaged Ruth to let her know that I was done painting for the day and that she could go and cover the box up in around 30mins/ an hour when all the paint would be dry.

Very cold and tired I started walking towards a main road so I could order and UBER and it started raining a little bit. The thought of rain ruining my entire day of painting almost brought me to TEARS. I would consider myself a working class Northerner through and through, and today was the first time the cold and rain almost brought me to tears.

I've been hoping against hope that the rain hasn't ruined my painting. Taking the elements into consideration is something I've never previously had to do with my artwork.

NEXT TIME I AM TAKING A FLASK, 300 LAYERS OF CLOTHING, 5 PAIRS OF SOCKS AND GLOVES AND A FLASK WITH SOMETHING MOLTEN IN TEMPERATURE INSIDE IT.  

No comments:

Post a Comment