Sunday 21 February 2016

Secret 7; Jack Garratt & The Jam

Jack Garratt

Intentions

Create something that feels contemporary and fresh
Bold colours to reflect electric//synth elements of song
Look at lyrics for conceptual research

Initial Sketches 

I started by looking at previous album covers as I did with the Lennon piece; for this track I wanted to include an aspect of the artist too. I did a few test sketches and studies of Garratt before picking the best one. While I wanted this piece to pop with bright colours I also wanted a hand rendered feel to an aspect of it. Because of this I chose to conduct these studies in pencil crayon as I did with the Tame Impala track; this would also help create some fusion between the sleeves, helping them to work more cohesively as a set.

I scanned in my chosen Jack Garratt piece before I drew the eyes onto it. While the lyrics themselves are quite emotional, the musical elements of this track gives it attitude and that 'dance' value. Removing the eyes of a figure gives them a kind of distance from the viewer much like the bass in this song does. After a little playing around I decide to go with some shades, the eyes on the figure felt too awkward and misplaced, but to leave it blank felt a little lazy and unfinished. 

Development

I felt at this point that the cover needed more to it. I went back and re-read through the lyrics and decided to include the female character sang about. I wanted the woman to look cold and disinterested and I thought back to my early sketches for Gertie Harry; the details of the figure were unnecessary as the viewer didn't need to empathise with her merely be aware of her presence. Because of this I chose to make her a silhouette and place her behind Garratt, facing away, to reflect the song's lyrics and disconnect.

Final & Mock up

Getting the balance of colours right in this image took a little time but ultimately worked I feel, reflecting the contemporary pop elements of this track and making it eye catching.

The Jam

Intentions

For this track I didn't want to just do something obviously punk // mod like
Wanted to draw it into a contemporary environment

Initial Sketches // Development

Luckily going to a purely art based university I was surrounded by possible inspiration. I thought it would be fun to focus on art school fashion, a lot of old 80s//90s clothing is coming back into fashion and a lot of students wear styles that are simply a diluted//reworked version of past subcultures.

I looked up some vintage fashion online as well as taking inspiration from the people around me. I ended up with a line drawing of a woman I felt worked quite nicely. Once imported to photoshop however the hair and lips made the piece feel imbalanced in a square format, so I scrapped them in favour of a purely fashion based piece.

I coloured the image similarly to my first ever CHVRCHES sleeve. They allowed me to once again have an element of texture to a piece but in a way that felt contemporary and fresh.

Final & Mock up

One of my regrets about this piece was the timescale. I didn't leave myself much time for this final track and I admit it feels very rushed to me. I didn't have enough time to try out different avenues // concepts and this lead to a weaker conceptual outcome. Though I like the image, I feel it lost a lot of the punk // mod aesthetic and attitude that made the song so popular in the first place. Had I given myself more time it would have been nice to go a little more DIY with it using collage and more analog methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment